Consumptive use permit (CUP)

A permit issued by a water management district for aquifer withdrawals in excess of a certain amount. Other thresholds apply. For example, the St. Johns Water Management District ceiling is an annual average of more than 100,00o gallons per day, a pumping capacity more than a million gallons a day, and a a well pump six inches or greater.